I do not have a valid driver’s license or state ID. What can I do?

You will need to provide three alternative documents. If you do not have a valid license or ID we require a minimum of 3 alternative documents. Below is a list of acceptable identification:

Acceptable Documentation (Need 3 Docs)

  • Social security card
  • School records or transcript
  • School diploma or equivalent
  • 30 day paystub with name
  • 30 day renter’s receipt with name
  • 30 day utility bill with name
  • 30 day hospital bill or clinic bill with name
  • Any credit card statement with name
  • Bank statement with name
  • U.S. Passport
  • Matrícula Consular card

We Do Not Accept The Following

  • Expired license or ID
  • Temporary paper ID from BMV/DMV
  • Passports from foreign countries
  • Voter cards from foreign countries
  • Library cards
  • Xerox copies of original documents

If you do not have 3 different documents from the list above please call the department for further information 219-391-8413.

Show All Answers

1. What the new birth registry means for you.
2. Is this birth certificate a legal document?
3. Does this birth certificate include my time of birth and mother’s maiden name?
4. Is this a long form birth certificate? How can I obtain a long form birth certificate?
5. Can I request an Apostille seal from East Chicago?
6. Can I come to the East Chicago Health Department office for my birth certificate?
7. Can I get a social security card from here?
8. Do I need an appointment to get my birth certificate?
9. How long will the in office visit take?
10. My child was recently born, when will the certificate be ready?
11. I was adopted. Can I get my certificate here?
12. What will I need to get my birth certificate?
13. I do not have a valid driver’s license or state ID. What can I do?
14. Is the BMV issued temp paper ID accepted?
15. Who can pick up my birth certificate in the case I cannot pick up my own?
16. I am recently incarcerated, recently released from incarceration, in a shelter, in an institute, or am homeless. How can I request my birth certificate?
17. I am a social worker, shelter representative, or lawyer firm requesting a certificate for my client. What do I need?
18. Can I call ahead for my birth certificate and can I pay over the phone?
19. Can I request my certificate through the mail?
20. Can I purchase my certificate online?
21. What will my relative need to get my certificate?
22. My name and/or other information on my birth certificate is incorrect. What can I do?
23. My name has been changed, how do I get a new certificate?
24. The name on my birth certificate is different than my current documents. Can i get this name on my certificate?
25. Can I request a birth certificate from any Health Department?
26. I was born in Lake County can I request a birth certificate from East Chicago?
27. What is considered genealogy?