- About East Chicago
About East Chicago
With a combination of new economic and social initiatives, great energy radiates from our city on the lake. Rich in culture and tradition, East Chicago was Incorporated in 1893 as a railroad and steel town. East Chicago was one of the Northwest Indiana Region’s first industrial cities, created to meet the needs of its workers. East Chicago was once home to over 70 nationalities with heritage and tradition remaining a focal point of our great city.
East Chicago is a lakefront community located along the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan within 20 minutes of downtown Chicago. With over $70 million of investment in commercial and housing development throughout the city and lakefront, East Chicago provides greater opportunities for residents, visitors, and private developers.
Through economic revitalization, infrastructure improvements, art initiatives and partnering with local businesses, East Chicago charges forward as a community focused on the quality of life and families. Community highlights include:
- Ameristar Casino and Hotel
- Award winning parks
- Carnegie Performing Arts Center
- Free city WiFi in public areas
- A high speed fiber network to enhance local business with over 700 high-definition cameras throughout the city and two new community centers
- Home Ownership program
- Newly renovated Block Stadium & Sports Museum
- A redeveloped North Harbor downtown
- A revitalized lakefront and marina
- East Chicago is home to many events and festivals such as:
- 3rd of July Celebration
- Day with our Youth
- EC Hallow and the Celebration of Lights
- FUSIC Fest at the lakefront
- Kielbasa Fest
- Military Day at the Beach
- Senior Day on the Lake
- Teen Beach Bash
Our mission, as citizens and representatives of our community, is to provide the vision, the leadership, and the guidance needed to guarantee the growth and well being of our residents, their families and friends as they live, work, and play in East Chicago.