flu shots are now available on thursdays, no appointment needed
Free to seniors 65 and older
free to east chicago city employeesSERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
Due to COVID-19 Vaccination clinic, the East Chicago Health Department Nursing Division and Immunizations Division will be temporarily changing hours for STD, TB testing and children's vaccinations.
Mon 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM; 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Fri 8:30 AM – 11:30 PM
(Hours and days subject to change)
Average cases have increased nine-fold since early July.
Hospitalizations are highest since February.
Child and teen cases jumped 84% from July 22-29.
5X what was reported since end of June.
Kids now account for 20% of cases nationwide.
Delta variant responsible for 93% of US cases7-day positivity rate on 8/6 was 8.5%, highest in several months.
Hospitalizations and deaths increasing.
Accounts for 95.6% of sequenced cases in Indiana.
Spreads more than twice as easily from one person to another, compared to earlier strains.
One person can infect 8-9 susceptible people –about the same as chickenpox.
Studies show fully vaccinated people can spread Delta Variant.
Accounts for more breakthrough cases than other strains: viral load 1000X greater.
The Health Department team endeavors to promote a healthy and informed community by promoting:
- Community health education
- Crisis Interventions
- Preventive Practices
- Risk of harm reduction strategies
- Wellness activities and initiatives
Our goal is to increase healthy lifestyle choices and outcomes for East Chicago residents and the surrounding communities.
Methods for Achievement
This aim is achieved through; community partnerships with public and private partners, businesses, social service agencies, faith based entities and health provider organizations
It is through and with you that together we make a positive difference in the lives of each other.
- Health Inspectors were certified by the State of Indiana as Standardized Food Program Inspection Officers.
- Recently organized a Task Force and partnership with the East Chicago Police Department and Inspectors to form a Task Force on the management and control of the Pit Bull animal population in the City.
- Secured a grant to fund the upcoming STD Clinic.
Department Fun Facts
- East Chicago is one of only two cities statewide that continues to operate and manage a local health department for its residents
- The East Chicago Health Department is the only Health Department in northwest and central Indiana that operates an Animal Control Division at the local level.
No cash payments accepted for any services at the Health Department.
We accept money orders, cashier’s checks or debit/credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express).