Covid/Novel Coronavirus Information
This page will give the citizens of East Chicago data, resources, and information surrounding the Covid/Novel Coronavirus pandemic. Below you may find East Chicago case numbers, demographics, outside resources, and how to order certificates during limited government access. Our FAQ section has many different tips and resources to help navigate new CDC and ISDH regulations for your safety.
Update May 26: Is there local testing?
*Please allow a small margin of error as our nurse reviews information manually. Recorded deaths are residents that passed outside of East Chicago city limits.
|June 1||334 (9 new cases)|
|May||5 as of May 21|
|Gender||Male- 7, Female-3|
|Age||90’s-2, 80’s-4, 70's-1, 60's-2, 30’s-1|
|Ethnicity||African American-4, Latino-3, White-1, Unknown-2|
UPDATE: The EC Health DPT is resuming public services with modified safety protocols. Please call 219-391-8467 or check out our FAQ sections for these instructions.
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Human coronaviruses most commonly spread from an infected person to others through:
- The air by coughing and sneezing
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
- Rarely, fecal contamination
- It is highly recommended to receive a flu shot during this outbreak.