UPDATE: The EC Health DPT is closed to public visit, but are still providing resources and certificates. please call for information 219-391-8467 or check out our FAQ sections.
Updated Daily: Health Department FAQ for COVID-19/Novel Coronavirus.
Update April 9: SafeHome Guide for Home Disinfecting.
Update April 9: Order certificates during stay-at-home order.
Updated April 9:
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Human coronaviruses most commonly spread from an infected person to others through:
- The air by coughing and sneezing
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
- Rarely, fecal contamination
- It is highly recommended to receive a flu shot during this outbreak.
The Health Department team endeavors to promote a healthy and informed community by promoting:
- Community health education
- Crisis Interventions
- Preventive Practices
- Risk of harm reduction strategies
- Wellness activities and initiatives
Our goal is to increase healthy lifestyle choices and outcomes for East Chicago residents and the surrounding communities.
Methods for Achievement
This aim is achieved through; community partnerships with public and private partners, businesses, social service agencies, faith based entities and health provider organizations
It is through and with you that together we make a positive difference in the lives of each other.
- Health Inspectors were certified by the State of Indiana as Standardized Food Program Inspection Officers.
- Recently organized a Task Force and partnership with the East Chicago Police Department and Inspectors to form a Task Force on the management and control of the Pit Bull animal population in the City.
- Secured a grant to fund the upcoming STD Clinic.
- Successfully completed a state-mandated timed emergency preparedness medication dispensing drill in 22 minutes compared to the average estimated time of 1 to 2 hours.
Department Fun Facts
- East Chicago is one of only two cities statewide that continues to operate and manage a local health department for its residents
- The East Chicago Health Department is the only Health Department in northwest and central Indiana that operates an Animal Control Division at the local level.
- Indiana Health Commissioner Visits East Chicago, Dr. Adams was appointed by Governor Mike Pence as the Indiana State Health Commissioner on October 22, 2014.
Frequently asked questions concerning birth certificates, death certificates, amendments, and paternity affidavits.
No cash payments accepted for any services at the Health Department.
We accept money orders, cashier’s checks or debit/credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express).